Soil and groundwater were impacted by chlorinated solvents at the Site due to historical activities on the property. Historical uses included the following:
• Heading factory (sawmill)
• Shingle factory
• Foundry and machine shop
• Roller bearing factory
• Coudersport Borough maintenance garage
• General store
• Truck and tractor repair facility
• Gasoline retail facility
The Site qualified as an Act 2 Special Industrial Area due to the following factors:
- The property was used for industrial activity.
- The property owner did not cause or contribute to contamination on the property.
- There was no financially viable responsible person to clean up the contamination
Site characterization activities consisted of the installation of soil borings and monitoring wells. Remediation measures included the disposal of monitoring well development/purge water, capping of soil, and the use of an environmental covenanting eliminating soil and groundwater exposure pathways.
A Baseline Remedial Investigation Work Plan, Baseline Environmental Report, Consent Order and Agreement for Special Industrial Areas, and Environmental Covenant were prepared, and liability relief was granted by the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection (DEP).